ADDer World  ADD ADHD Online Network Community

ADD & ADHD Online Social Network Community

How old was everyone when they found out they had ADD/ADHD?

I was 48 and wish I had been tested earlier in life...I feel like I have missed out on so much.

Tags: ADD/ADHD, age, testing

Views: 3662

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was actually diagnosed, began treatment, education and a process group at 40. It's been 12 years and I couldn't be happier with my life! I have embraced it completely. Not just the fabulous parts but also how to cope and strategize for the parts I hadn't already figured out. One of my favorite things is realizing I'm a great speller... I can spell almost any word at least 3 ways.
i was 24 and when i was 7 i could of got tested but my father was nothing but a drunk and beat me all the time, so he said no to the testing because he thought i would have told on him. this was back in 1987, i am now 30... i still feel like there is no hope.
No hope?
no hope as in i am always going to be stuck where i'm at. i want to go back to school, i dont even have my grade 12 :( i am a very smart person, just not school smart...
nice to meet you also :) i do think of myself as a very smart person, however in this day & age school smarts are all that seem to matter. i have a hard time not geting depressed or being happy about this. i cant even get my grade 12, when i was tested the notes say i need help with my schooling, so i went back to school. i got no help :( so i gave up. no i guess im just very upset, and i feel like there is no hope. i know there is hope. i just cant find it right now....
i will not take pills because all they do is mess you up even more, maybe not right away but longterm they do. i would love to come first but never do lol. as for my GED i dont even think i can pass that. being depressed right now and most of the time makes me feel like that. :(
May I ask your age?
I was 52 when diagnosed with ADHD. Looking back over my life it is clear that I have had an ADD brain since early childhood. I've also had many of the challenges and failures that result from untreated ADD including marital, work, school, and interpersonal issues. Too bad no one ever diagnosed this until my wife literally forced me to confront my behavior. Only then did I seek out professional help.

I'm still struggling to find the right combination of medications, behavior modification, diet, exercise, etc. that will produce full and optimal treatment. Nonetheless, I am blessed to have this type of brain and appreciate the creative insights that have helped me in some aspects of my life.
Hi, I was 54. Learning Disability Testing was done almost 3 weeks before the FASD Spectrum Testing by the Lakeland FASD Spectrum Centre from Cold Lake, Alberta Team that came up to the YUKON on March 10, 2010.

I feel like I have missed out on so much too. But now, this is my time. Time to learn to take responsibility for my actions if I can and become the Paulette that I should be. Kids are all grown up. Time to let my spouse grow up too (non adder as far as we know.) Now I get to learn all about me, Go to the College here in Canada for the Targeted Initiative for Older Workers Program on Jan 10, 2011. They pay me from 8:30-4:30 M-F for 15 weeks. I get to keep it all and I'm also on EI.

It is never too late to learn. What was too late was how it affected my marriage. The help I got back in '95 helped with other issues but not for ADHD combined type, the NBD (alc exp) or the GAD, incl OCD and PTSD. This is what affected our marriage. Not much was known when I was in grade 3. It was good I had all my school records telling all the comments of what I "Should do" and how I should "Try Harder" and not "Daydream" outside the windows, along with I should "Pay more attention!"

All I can say, I am going to be a better person now, all by the Grace of God, and a Son who loves me so much and the Holy Spirit who can help me to process it all, and teach me more. AMEN to all of this. He's a wonderful caregiver too I might add. LOL Paulette - mushtodo
If I had a dime for everytime someone said pay attention to me I would be rich
I was in the Navy as a Hospital Corpman, station at Camp Lester Naval in Okinawa, Japan. This was in 1985-86. I got in trouble a couple times due job preforment. After getting sent to the hospital post officer. I ask a doctor if he could help me out. I told him I had dyslexia, but the problem I was having in work duties were in memory, focus. Not dyslexic symtoms. I got an appoint with pysch dept. After a batteries of test. The psych doctor told me i had ADD. I think i was 23 or 24. Tim
I am 19 and I was Diagnosed at the age of 9. I am grateful for learning I had this at such a young age, but struggling with wanted to do things for myself while everybody was trying to help me by tell me what to do while also doing them for me ended up being pretty destructive to myself and to the people around me. I couldn't help myself and I constantly felt like I was being told that I have a problem. I also felt I was doing things for the benefit of what others wanted rather then for myself.

After what I went through I advise for anyone with diagnosed children to help them help themselves, rather then trying to do it for them. I don't necessarily mean back away and let them figure it out for themselves, god forbid we all need a kick in the right direction at times, but the ability to do things on my own has been the most rewarding and ultimately best thing for the future, as well as my biggest goal in life.

RSS

Now on Kindle!

7 Crucial Tips for Parents and Teachers of Children with ADHD "Uncommonly helpful, down-to-earth, immensely practical and readable Book." - David A. Crenshaw, Ph.D., ABPP. Director of Rhinebeck Child and Family Center, LLC

Happy Every Day - Simple, Effective Ways to Better Days 

Doubt Book

“If you’ve ever stalled or wanted to give up on your dream, this book is for you. 

Books

“'One Boy's Struggle' is a real eye-opener! Bryan writes of hope and despair, and the all-too-common conflict between desperately wanting to achieve and please, yet suspecting that you’ll fail again… and soon.”
-Dr. Edward Hallowell

Badge

Loading…

Founder

Bryan Hutchinson

Bryan's Page

Blog

© 2014   Created by Bryan Hutchinson.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service